Nothing says romance like soft, touchable curls. But talk to anyone with curly hair and they’ll tell you how hard it can be to achieve those angelic, delicately loose ringlets that bring to mind starlets from decades gone by. For this, you might need a little help. That’s what we’re here for.
We talked to hair and make-up artist, Annastasia Cucullo to get the scoop on achieving the ultimate in soft, touchable curls. She also breaks it down for those with naturally curly hair, and those who have mostly straight hair that sometimes wants to be curly.
Perfect curls need the right hair product
First things first, to get your curls looking soft and touchable, product is very important. You probably won’t be able to get the look you’re craving without a little assistance from a bottle or tube. Cucullo likes to use Aveda hair products and has had a lot of luck with them. “Aveda’s curling products are amazing because they help to create the curl without a crunchy, stiff look and the curl lasts,” she explains.
So, without further ado, here are the steps you need to take your curls from drab to dazzling. With the right products, it’s actually a pretty simple process.
If you have naturally curly hair:
1. Start by adding Be Curly by Aveda or a similar curl-enhancing product to towel-dried hair.
2. Run your fingers through your hair and finger-curl your hair to the natural movement of your curls.
3. Diffuse your hair until it’s almost dry and then add a curl-defining product, such as Aveda’s Humectant or Control Paste. A product like this will also add a bit of shine to your curls and ensure they stay put. Cucullo advises that a little goes a long way, however, as you don’t want to weigh down your newly soft, touchable curls.
If you have straight hair that wants to be curly:
1. Start by washing your hair and drying it with some a product that will help to give your hair some hold. If your hair isn’t naturally curly and you need to put extra work into creating well-defined curls, you’ll want to make sure all your hard work won’t fall flat before you step out the door.
2. Next, spray your hair with a hairspray that has a very light hold. Choose something that won’t weigh down your strands and make it hard for your hair to hold the curl. Aveda’s Witch Hazel Hair Spray will help to hold the curl but not make your hair crunchy or stiff.
3. Use a curling iron to create the curl shape you want.
4. Hair spray your newly curled head and you should have a soft, touchable loose ringlets that will ideally last all day.