By: Erin Brady
Lets face it; most of us don’t leave the beach with flawless hair full of waves and texture that celebrity’s sport with such ease in the summer. There is good new though for all of you out there that long for that effortless, sexy, wavy ‘do. Surf and protective hair sprays have completely taken off and this summer, almost every haircare line out there makes a spray to get that “just off the beach” look for daytime or even a night out. How do you know which really work and won’t leave your hair sticky and frizzy, well we’ve combed through tons of products to find the best of the best, here goes:
- Best for Blow Drying Fanatics: CEW 2011 Beauty Award Winning blow Beach Blow Texturizing Mist ($21) is blended with rice and sea salt to accentuate natural waves and create a perfect beach style without feeling stiff, sticky or salty. To use, spray in sections after blow-drying and scrunch to form natural waves. Available at drugstore.com.
- Best for Fragrance Lovers: Catwalk Session Series Salt Spray ($19) is a light spray that adds body and definition with natural sea salt ingredients. The spray gives texture and fights humidity for an undone, beachy look. Spray into wet hair to add body or in dry hair for tousled texture. The Tobacco Flower Noir scent only adds to the experience of using the spray and will transport you to a bohemian beach paradise. Available at fine salons, visit tigihaircare.com for more information.
- Best for Bombshells: Davines No 14 Sea Salt Primer ($26) captures that desired beach texture anywhere your life takes you, providing bombshell-body with a matte finish and a dry look. Apply to wet or dry hair with fingertips for natural-looking wind-blown waves. This spray truly helps you sculpt masterpiece hair, perfect for a date or special event. To purchase the spray, visit Davines.com for salon locations.
- Best for Dry Hair: Philip B. Maui Wowie Beach Mist ($22) infuses hair with body and brings out its natural wave. Maui Wowie gives fullness to fine hair, gorgeous piecey texture to thick hair and brings out natural spirals in wavy hair. The spray contains Aloe Vera, Algae Extracts and a nourishing, protective blend of exotic plant oils to give hair a healthy, moisturized feel. Spray on damp hair, tousle and let hair air dry or twist hair in sections and dry under a diffuser for loose, sexy waves. Available in salons around the world and at PhilipB.com.
- Best for Blondes: Kérastase Soleil Huile Céleste ($39) is the first protective shimmering haircare oil to help protect and nourish sun-parched strands. The hair oil features UVA and UVB filters and micro-glitters to shield against damaging environmental aggressors while adding a beautiful shine to hair. The unique formula captures, transfers and magnifies the brilliance of the sun’s rays yielding a sublime shine. The oil can be applied to wet or dry hair and is available in Kérastase Salons nationwide and online at kerastase-usa.com.
- Best for Teens: Smart Girls Who Surf Care for Hair Sun Protector ($13) contains SPF 7 and is an amazing leave-in conditioner and detangler that leaves hair manageable, soft and protects the scalp. Perfect for girls at camp or who spend hours in the pool or ocean, the Smart Girls Who Surf line of products are natural, chemical-free and have biodegradable packaging. This is truly a spray that protects both the individual and the environment. Visit smartgirlswhosurf.com for more information.