By Aly Walansky
1. A spring coat in an unexpected fabric. Lightweight leather, metallic silk or embellished brocade, it should skim the body and work over slim pants and pencil skirts. The hem should fall somewhere between wrists and fingertips and you should feel “dressed” as soon as you slip it on.
2. The perfect white blouse. The ideal here is a crisp stretch cotton with a 3/4 sleeve and an origami-pleat detail at the cuff and neck. You want one that is slightly fitted so it doesn’t have to be tucked in to look finished and will work with most of your wardrobe!
3. A cashmere shrug or wrap. Choose a delicious spring color…tangerine, periwinkle, jade green or mimosa.
4. The essential navy blazer. Picture a wonderful silk matka trimmed in grosgrain. Silk matka looks like linen but behaves like wool, and takes color beautifully. We love very dark navy, because it can be accessorized with black, and in a classic double-breasted style, but with a very narrow overlap, so it looks great open as well as buttoned. Dressed up or with jeans, it’s my go-to jacket.
5. The quintessential party dress. Details are key, as is color. Think gorgeous florals and abstract prints — you’ll look like a fairy princess!